Thursday, October 25, 2012

Frosted Pumpkin Bars

Oh heavens! These are Tasty with a capital "T". I have been craving pumpkin goodies, and as you probably know if you've ever made a pumpkin confection, you always have more pureed pumpkin in a can than you actually need. So you get to make several pumpkin treats. It is a great deal if you ask me. I mean you don't want to waste any food do you? No, that's what I thought.


Now I actually made these last week, shortly after I made a batch of Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, which I also LOVED! And as I sit here and try to decide which of the two I liked better no clear winner is coming to my mind, which leaves me to believe that I just really liked both of them. Which leaves me to believe that you will also love both of them, and should make both of them before Halloween in order to get more into the spirit of the quickly approaching holiday.

And if you, like me are still struggling with a costume idea, take a cue from these two confections and be a pumpkin. No it's not scary, but if you are under the age of about 7 it is really adorable. You probably aren't if you are reading this post, but it's just a thought I had as I reflect back on Halloween of 2011 when my then 6 month old daughter was a pumpkin, and if I do say so myself, the most adorable pumpkin in the patch.


Enjoy! Caroline

Frosted Pumpkin Bars
Recipe from Paula Deen
Pictures by Caroline

Bars
4 large eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup corn oil
1 16-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Icing
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In bowl of an electric mixer, beat effs, granulated sugar, oil, and pumpkin until fluffy. 
  3. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda in another bowl. Gradually add to the egg mixture with the mixer at low speed.
  4. Spread batter in an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until center of cake is done. Remove from oven and cool completely.
  5. For icing, cream together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer; add vanilla. Slowly beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cake with icing and cut into squares. These freeze well. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...